As most renters know (or are shocked to learn), finding an apartment thats affordable, livable, and available is only the first chapter in the epic battle for a NYC rental.
Once youve found a place worthy of renting, you must now convince a landlord that you are rent-worthy.
There are a bunch of ways to flunk this test, such as:
- Your perfectly respectable annual salary does not equal at least 40-50 times the monthly rent (say, at least $120,000/year for a $3,000 one-bedroom)
- Youre a foreign employee or international student relocating to the U.S. and you have no U.S. credit history
- Youre self-employed (to a landlord, your income is too unpredictable), or
- You have a lot of money in the bank, but no job (think investor, retiree, trust-fund baby, newly single, etc.)
- You are a full time student and do not work
Some landlords will accept a large upfront security deposit (3-12 months) to overlook your unworthiness. Many will take a guarantorbut the guarantor usually has to live in the Tri-State area, be willing to wade through cumbersome paperwork, and earn 75-85x times the monthly rent (that works out to about $240,000 for that $3,000 one bedroom).
Solution: Hire a guarantor. Insurentaccepted at nearly 1,400 NYC buildings (and more in New Jersey, with more coming soon in Chicago, Boston, and Washington D.C.)--will guarantee your lease at an average cost of about 80% percent of a months rent if you have US credit and 110% if you are foreign with no U.S. credit.
Here are some scenarios in which Insurent can save the day and get you that apartment:
- You have good (not necessarily perfect) credit and earn at least 27.5x the monthly rent (thats $82,500/yearnot $120,000--for that $3,000 one-bedroom)
- You earn less than 27.5x rent or youre a student, and you have parents who live outside of tristate area or overseas. (Insurents requirements for parents are less stringent than most NYC landlords.)
- You have a lot of liquid assets but no job
- Youre moving here from another country to start a job, but you dont have U.S. credit history
- Youre self-employed
- You have roommates and none of your parents make 80x the monthly rent or do not wish to guarantee the full lease
- At this stage of your life, hitting up mom and dad as guarantors feels all wrong. Plus you dont want them to know how much youre spending on an apartment.
You will be pleasantly surprised to learn that Insurent is faster and simpler than the normal guaranty process too.Click here to apply online and find out whether youre approved in about an hour; the guaranty is usually delivered to your landlord within 24 hours.
Click here to view the buildings and landlords that accept the Insurent Program.